Hello, a warm welcome to Knit-A-Square (KAS) from Wales in the UK,thank you for joining us!
KAS is a wonderful world-wide community of caring people who knit and crochet, to help keep orphaned and vulnerable children in South Africa (SA) warm during their very cold winters.
Through the forum and the tabs across the top of the page, you are able to:
- Find the important information that you need before posting your parcel, including the PackingSlip that needs to be included inside every parcel .This also has the important details of how to label your parcel to prevent volunteers in SA being charged to receive it. Here you can also ask any questions you may have (Helpful Hints).
- Share in a variety of discussions either by following or contributing. You can learn what is happening in South Africa and see photos of unpacking, and sorting, completed blankets and distributions to the children. Each month we have a different theme; these are for fun and inspiration. Please join in if you wish (Discussion Categories).
- Access the free pattern book. The garment patterns have been designed by KAS to meet the needs of the children, most of whom are 3 -9 years old. There are also plenty of lovely patterns for squares too. It is worth having a look, as it explains the importance of leaving a 20” tail on each square and how to ‘butterfly’ the tails before sending (KAS Pattern Book).
- See the photos of other members work and share your own. This is inspirational! (Photos).
- Purchase items, which not only help KAS financially, but provide additional items for the children (KAS Shop).
Our main focus is making 8” x 8” (20cm x 20cm) squares for blankets. These can be knitted or crocheted in any stitch, as every square is valued whether they are plain or fancy! Most importantly, they need to be the rightsize for the volunteers in SA to sew together into lovely warm blankets for the children. There are 35 squares in each blanket, all made by caring people across the world who want to keep vulnerable children warm. Volunteers in SA distribute the blankets and warm garments to the needy children, who are then wrapped in warmth and the assurance that someone cares.
I hope you enjoy knitting / crocheting for the children and the fellowship of other like-minded KAS members across the world.
"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."
Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.