You are invited to

It’s that time of year when we dig out our recipe boxes, make a list of needed ingredients, and start baking up batches of Christmas Cookies – those ones the family looks forward to all year.
Since we can’t get together as a group, we thought that a ‘virtual’ exchange would be fun. We hope that you all will share your favourite recipes below.
What fun to try a member’s recipe from France, Germany, England, South Africa, Croatia, Canada, the USA, or any of the other multitude of countries represented in KAS.
Anything goes, as long as you think it is delicious. It can be calorie laden, gluten free, easy or challenging to make, squares (the edible kind – not knitted!), and not even a cookie! Christmas puddings and cakes, fudge and other Christmas sweets are also welcome.
If you have a photo of your baking, please post it with your recipe, if not – no worries.
If your recipe has been handed down, we can consider it an original (no need for a source), if you found it on the back of a bag like Chipits, please mention where it came from.
Because we represent so many countries, and some of us are on metric and others are not, here is a Conversion Chart:

Views: 488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL Anne.  Just showed this to Kevin and he said, "Hey, I'd pick that one!!!" ... xo

DO-DABS

(quick, easy and delicious)

2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2 oz)

1 can sweetened condensed milk (300 ml)

1 ¼ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs

Desiccated coconut

Melt chocolate over hot water in double boiler, add milk and cook until thick.  Stir in crumbs. Mix well.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto plate of coconut and roll into balls.

Oh Anne, these look so yummy!!!  I'm adding them to my waistline to-make list ... hahaha ... xo

Sounds good, cookies and milk any time is yum!

AUNT ETHEL’S CARROT PUDDING

My aunt sent me this recipe about 45 years ago.  Although I haven’t made it in years, I read the recipe every Christmas, just to chuckle and remember this very funny lady.  I will type it here verbatim.  I am sure if Julia Child read the instructions, she would be rolling in her grave.

1 heaping cup suet

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup flour

2 cups large raisins – seeded Muscats

½ lb. mixed peel

½ lb. mixed fruit

½ lb. cherries

Nuts (optional)

1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla

1 tsp. soda dissolved in hot water (small amount)

1 egg – well beaten

1 cup each grated potatoes, carrot and apple

Steam for 3 hours

I start looking for Muscats in summer or early fall.

Because of arthritis I have found grating the vegetables just a bit too much, so last year, without telling anyone, I put them through the blender, but found this rather tedious.  This year I asked Peter (her son) to help, so he used the blender, using a small cup of water (a friend told him this was the proper way) – then put the pulp in a strainer, pressing out the liquid.  Of course he did it in a few minutes. Simple.

Apparently no one even noticed the difference last year or this.

With regard to the fruit, I don’t always stick close to the recipe.  For instance, this year I threw in about a cup of cut-up dates – to get rid of them – also a cup of small raisins.  I always use nuts, but some people don’t like them.

Anne, I always double this recipe – making one large one for Olive (her sister) with a small one for us.  If you double the recipe, you would have two good sized puddings.

One gripe I have at Christmas – suet is always sold in one pound packages – enough for three large puddings.

Method – I do the fruit first, sprinkling some flour over it. 
Then the vegetables – apples and potatoes may turn dark but when mixed will not be noticed.

Sugar, suet, flour with spices, egg, fruit, then vegetables.  Then soda and water.  When you think you have it well mixed, remove your rings and then really mix BY HAND.  This from an old English friend and baker (Tom B.).  Ask you Mother,

Sent this recipe to Olive but she promptly lost it.  Hang onto this one.

Anne, I love the way your aunt wrote out her recipe.  My grandmother's recipes would often include something like "butter the size of a walnut" or "the size of an egg" or a "pinch" of this or a "shake or two" of that.   Funny how everything she made always turned out perfectly!

Here is a recipe I've been making ever since my boys were small.  They always liked to help me make them.  Then when the grandsons came along, they helped and loved making them.  So easy, and fun for little fingers - and a tasty treat for tummies of all ages :))  

My grown son is home for a while and will be with us this Christmas and he has requested these.  He even wants to help make them!  So you see, these are a real family tradition at our house ...

CHERRY BALLS

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cups icing sugar

1 1/2 cup shredded coconut

2 tablespoons cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

Graham cracker crumbs to coat 

Red and Green Maraschino or candied cherries

Melt butter and remove from heat.  To melted butter, add icing sugar, coconut, cream and vanilla and mix well.  Chill mixture in refrigerator.  

When mixture is stiff enough to handle, cover single cherries with about 1 teaspoon of mixture and roll into balls.  Coat with Graham Cracker crumbs by rolling each cherry ball in the crumbs.

These can be frozen and they thaw very quickly when a friend or two pops in unexpectedly for coffee!

Thanks, Glo!  Putting these on my 'have to try list'.  I love cherries AND coconut. Of course these are calorie free, aren't they?

Well, Anne, I have double-checked the recipe, and I don't see "calories" listed anywhere in the ingredient list so I believe we can safely assume they are definitely calorie-free :)))) ... xo

I thought I would share Welsh Cakes with you. They are not Christmas fayre, but are enjoyable all year round, and they make a welcome change after rich Christmas food. Traditionally they are cooked on a cast iron bakestone (older generations often call Welsh cakes ‘bakestones’), but today, a griddle or heavy bottomed pan are often used.

Ingredients

8ozs self raising flour

4ozs butter

3ozs mixed fruit (sultanas, raisins, currants)

3ozs castor sugar

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon mixed spice

Method

• Sieve all dry ingredients together into a bowl
  • Add the butter into the dry ingredients, rub together until an even, crumbly mixture
  • Add fruit
  • Add beaten egg
  • Mix into a dough, add a little milk if dough a little dry
  • Roll out onto a lightly floured surface
  • Cut with fluted or plain cutter,  no larger than 2 1/2 ins ( I prefer 2ins)
  • Cook on a bakestone, griddle or heavy bottomed pan for approx. 3mins each side, until they are golden brown
  • Place on a cooling rack and sprinkle with castor sugar

Delicious when hot! They are more commonly eaten cold, they keep well in an air tight tin and they also freeze very well.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2019 Squares List is available.

Visit the
2019 Square Lists discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

Knitted Plain Jane

Crochet Plain Jane

Click here to view the entire
KAS Pattern Book

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service