Ever wonder what happens with all that mail that arrives in South Africa?  It goes to the KAS Barn where many volunteers SORT everything out to eventually be distributed to local children.

Please check in here on a regular basis to see photos from all the activity in the KAS Barn during 2019. 

Views: 7208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will double check, but I believe that was the Board's intention last year.  

When the Post Office started charging the handling fees in July, I think the plans for the increase had to be put on hold.

on knit a square .com, gogos support it says 2 usd

I think Rhonda hoped for a raise to 1.50 but the funds really aren't there. I can see with the postal fees the appeal of the large distribution if it cuts fuel costs for a few months. 

Our intention was to give the a raise to $2.  In 2018 they were paid R10 per blanket.  Starting in January of this year they are paid R15.  Not much of an increase but what we can manage at the moment.  

With the fluctuation of the exchange rate that comes out to about 1.25 USD at the moment.

Yikes, on February 12 the barn had no power for part of the day.  Liz and Ann were happy sitting next to the entrance for light.

And Ronda was able to fill her arms with lots of blankets.

Athele enjoyed her cup of Jo.

And the others enjoyed theirs, too!

Themba also enjoyed a flat white...small latte.

Thank you so much for the great pictures!   It takes more than a power outage to stop a team of KASers, eh :))) 

And there's that pattern again ... the knitted panel in front of Themba.  Wonder who made it ... xo

It is a beauty...maybe Gloria made this one.

Oh Amy, if only I had!!  Unfortunately, I cannot claim this one as my own.  I love that pattern so much I may just have to make another one, though ... xo

I am just getting caught up on this thread after a long time away from KAS surfing... I think that panel is mine, made using a pattern that Gloria put us onto, and many others worked out as well.   I used all their combined knowledge (yarn weight, needle size, ruler clipped to the pattern to stay on the right row) and gave the pattern a try.   My knitting skills are only very basic, but I liked the result so much that I didn't stop after 8 inches, and just kept going until I had a panel the length of 3 squares.   Thanks to everyone who helped teach me the fun of that short row pattern, and to everyone who liked the result.

Haha ... now that you mention it, I do remember you making that, Sharon.  And you did a super job with it!! Thank you for clearing up that mystery for us ... xo

Remember these from Karen Gordon's Mom posted in December....

...well they arrived all safe and sound in South Africa.

Awww....... great to see my parcel with the surprise goodies from my Mum has arrived so quickly!   I'll be sure to tell her ASAP.   Thank you X

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
African Animal Flashcards

The complete alphabet!

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JULY 2019 Squares List is available.

Visit the
2019 Square Lists discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

Mitre Square

Click here to view the entire
KAS Pattern Book

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service