New to Knit-a-Square?

- Have a question about making squares,

- Navigating the Forum,

- Using PayPal to send donations or

- A question about mailing your squares.

Please read the discussions in Helpful Hints .  If you don't find your answer there, post your question below and someone will answer.  

No need to start a new discussion

Type your question in the 'Reply to This' box under the intro, then click  'Add Reply'.

Views: 1623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jayne.  I think that there was a discussion some years back that hats and handwarmers would not or not necessarily be given out as sets, as not every child would be able to be given a coordinated set and to avoid arguments or envy among the children, they would be given random handwarmers and random hats. It probably also works the other way where they may give the children coordinated sets and then the children might swap hats or handwarmers with a friend, just so they can have two different colour combinations/designs.

Regarding the action toys, cars, etc., I am thinking they may be quite heavy to post, as things made from hard plastic and/or metal, usually are. (Expensive for you)Do you perhaps have a local children's charity who would welcome them?

If you sent them to South Africa, I'm sure they would find a home in a creche, however, with the limited time that the volunteers have to process the mountain of squares, toys, hats and handwarmers each week, they try to stick to these four main items, otherwise they may receive many generous selections of different 'goodies' that they then have to find a place to store until they can find an appropriate creche to distribute them to and it takes their volunteering time away from sorting and sewing, members warming 'goodies', which is their primary goal.   :))

Having enquired about the more solid toys it seems best to send soft toys only.     Firstly there is the postal expense and weight percentage to consider for your value for £ sending these items.   Secondly, the sorting of toys in S Africa is a massive sifting process which really cannot withstand another category purely on a space capacity.  

Concensus is that soft toys only would be more appropriate/appreciated.    For certain your local charity shop would be delighted to receive such items - leaving you more weight and space for knitted items in your next parcel - everyone wins!   Great ✅

Hi KASers, why are my photos uploading sideways instead of upright? They are right side up on my tablet. Has anyone else experienced this? 

I'm sorry Deborah I'm baffled as to why this would happen...... Your crafting is great though ✅

Hi All,

I searched by couldn't find the answer. Are slightly used stuffed animals welcome? My kids are all grown and we still have many "in great condition" stuffed animals in smaller sizes like Beanie Babies. I'm just looking for a place to donate them. My crochet talents don't extend to animals.

Thanks!

Hi Juli, yes small soft toys are welcome if they're clean, in good condition and will post economically.    Thanks for your interest. K x

Great! Thank you. I will send them on with some squares.

Also, if I send them alone, what do I put on the box so no custom's fee has to be paid?

Tick gift on the label + put charity items in written box + zero or 0 in value box. Also if new remove labels/tags.

Also I should stress it is best to make your parcel as near to, but not over, 2kg.   This gives better postal value per £ for yourself, and as there is a nominal collection fee per parcel for KAS better value for the charity too.

Hello; 

i am looking for a member in Cape Town who would be willing to meet my colleague at her Hotel mid-August to pick-up the blankets, hats and grannies made by my mum, my god-mother and myself.

Would you have any idea. Unfortunately Lesley King cannot make it.

I would be thrilled to get a name or idea. 

Thank you & Kind regards

Bettina 

I have messaged you about this just now. Hope my suggestion helps, Kx

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
African Animal Flashcards

The complete alphabet!

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JULY 2019 Squares List is available.

Visit the
2019 Square Lists discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

Mitre Square

Click here to view the entire
KAS Pattern Book

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service