If you wish to add a pattern for a square you have made, please insert it at the end of this discussion by using the "Repy to This" feature and please include a photo with the pattern.

We ask that you do not just include links to patterns online that you have not actually tried.

Please note:  some of the patterns below are older and do not include instructions for leaving tails.

Ronda has requested that we now leave a 50cm/20" tail for sewing squares together. Please butterfly the tail to the square.  Instructions for this and an illustration can be found at

http://www.knit-a-square.com/support-files/knitted-square-plain_jan...

Views: 17009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hand warmers

This technique I found in an old Czech magazine . It is a great way of using up scraps of colourful yearns and it is quite warm.

We knit 2 rows with the same colour /RS and WS/, then change the colour. For ex. I start with green /2 rows/, then yellow /2rows/, again green ..ect.

We work all rows in rib /purl, knit/

Abbreviations: RS - right side / we can see th pattern/

WS - wrong side / only colourful stripes/

Attachments:

This looks fascinating. I have a favorite Christmas sweater that is knitted in this technique. I had no idea it was this easy to do it. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

The chart of my pattern

Attachments:

Meander

Attachments:

I always thought this pattern on sweater yokes and hems looked Grecian with its angularity. Interesting to see how it's done. Thank you.

This is a pattern my Mother suggested. Not sure what to call it other than a 4 row rib pattern. You do: 1st Row; K2, P2, 2nd Row; P2, K2, 3rd Row; Knit, 4th Row; Purl and repeat till the square is large enough.  I started this with 38 stitches on 4.5 mm needles.  I used 8 ply (dk) acrylic yarn.

A great way to use up bits of left-over yarn.

FUN SQUARE PATTERN

Center is worked back and forth.

Row 1: With first color, ch 7. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each remaining 5 ch. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Working in back loop only of each stitch, sc in each of 6 sc. Ch 1, turn.

Rows 3 - 6: Repeat row 2. End off. This completes first section. Turn.

Row 7: Join 2nd color with sc in back loop of first sc. Sc in back loop of each remaining 5 sc. Ch 1, turn.

Rows 8 - 12: Repeat row 2. End off.

Rows 13 - 18: With 3rd color, repeat rows 7 - 12.

Rows 19 - 24: With 4th color, repeat rows 7 - 12.

Rows 25 - 30: With 5th color, repeat rows 7 - 12.

Rows 31 - 36: With 6th color, repeat rows 7 - 12.

Rows 37 - 42: With 7th color, repeat rows 7 - 12.

Note: Sections can be added or removed to alter size of center circle. Also, colors can be changed on any odd-numbered row, or same color can be used throughout.

With tail of last color worked, weave in and out of stitches along edge of piece and gather up tight to make a circle. Stitch first row worked to last row worked.

Remainder is worked around.

Round 1: Working around outside edge of circle, attach yarn in any space and make 48 sc evenly spaced around. Join with sl st in first sc.

Round 2: Ch 3, 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in same place where sl st was made -* hdc in each of next 4 sc - sc in each of next 3 sc - hdc in each of next 4 sc - 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in next sc  - repeat from * around, working 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc for each corner.  Join with sl st in top of first ch 3.

Round 3 and each subsequent round:  Working 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in each corner space, dc in each dc around. Measure after each round and use rounds of dc, hdc, or sc as needed to get to an even 8 inches.

Note: If center “hole” is too large, make a crochet “button” in any color and stitch to center of square. An alternative to the button would be a star, a Christmas tree, an angel, or any embellishment you would like to create!

Crochet button: Ch 4, join with sl st. Make 16 sc in ring. Fasten off.

This is not so much a pattern as it is a method of fixing found or donated squares that aren't quite square.

I recently bought a bag of knitted squares in a thrift shop which, when I got home and opened the bag, turned out to be not-so-square.  At first I thought I wouldn't be able to use them, but I was inspired by Anne Powell's use of Ecofelt and thought I would try that.  With her encouragement, this is what I came up with.

I cut a 7-inch square out of Ecofelt and then cut a 4-inch square hole in the center (like a picture frame).  I laid the "out-of-square" square over the opening and positioned it to show the best part of the square and stitched it in place.

I then "wrapped" the felt up and over each of the four sides of the square, trying to make it even front and back.  I stitched that in place.  What I ended up with was a six-inch square!  I then blanket stitched all around the square and crocheted around the piece until I had our eight-inch square.

The pictures below show the square.  I should have taken before and after photos, but didn't think of it.  However, I taped the finished square to my window and let the sun (yes, folks, we finally got some!) shine through it.  In the first photo, you can see  the outline of the shape of the square I started with.  The other photo is the same square without the light shining through it.

I believe this method could be used for any misshapen square, no matter what size.  You would just have to re-size your "frame".  Also, Anne suggested using the sewing machine for the stitching.  This is a super idea if you were a better "sewing machiner" than I am... LOL

Outline of Before square                After

I apologize!  I typed 7 when I should have typed 9.  I started with a 9-inch square of Ecofelt for the fix-a-square method. 

Here is the pattern that I developed from an online picture, as requested by Anne Powell.  I hope you can understand it.  Please let me know if it needs fixing.

2 Color Slip-Stitch Stairway

(adapted from a pattern at knitplanet.ru)

2 contrasting colors of 8 ply yarn (UK=DK, US=sport or light worsted)

4 mm needles (UK=8, US=6)

NOTES:  Pattern repeat is a multiple of 8 sts

Stitches are slipped purlwise.

Pattern is based on stockinette (stocking) stitch so to keep from curling, I used a border of 4 sts each side in garter stitch.

For this pattern, the float of the slipped sts should always be on the Right Side of the fabric, therefore, on Knit rows, slip sts with yarn in front (wyif), on Purl rows, slip sts with yarn in back (wyib)

Do Not tighten the float, or fabric will pucker.

Do Not cut yarn when changing colors; always bring working yarn under the unused color at beginning of row to carry neatly up the sides.

With Color A, Cast On 40 sts and knit 2 rows.

(Rows 1-6 form stair steps to the left.)

R1: (RS)   Color B: K4 Border, *sl 4 wyif, K4* repeat 3 more times, K4 Border

R2: (WS) Color B: K4 Border, P3, *sl 4 wyib, P4* rep 2 times, sl 4 wyib, P1, K4 Border.

R3: Color B, K4 Border, K2, *sl 4 wyif, k4* repeat 2 times, sl 4 wyif, K2, K4 Border

R4: Color B: K4 Border, P1, *sl 4 wyib, P4*, repeat 2 times, sl 4 wyib, P3, K4 Border.

R5: Color B: K4 Border, *K4, sl 4 wyif* repeat 3 times, K4 Border.

R6: Color B K4 Border, sl 3 wyib, *P4, sl 4 wyib* repeat  2 times, P5, K4 Border.

(Rows 7-12 form stair steps to the right.)

R7:  Color A: K4 Border, K1, *sl 4 wyif, K4*, rep 2 times, sl 4 wyif, K3, K4 Border.

R8:  Color A:  K4 Border, *P4, sl 4 wyib, * repeat 3 times, P1, K3 Border. (I have borrowed one border stitch to complete the pattern on this row to allow the float to align properly.)

R9:  Color A:  K4 Border, sl 3 wyif, *K4, sl 4 wyif* repeat 2 times, K4, sl 1 wyif, K4 Border.

R10: Color A:  K4 Border, sl 2 wyib, *P4, sl 4 wyib* repeat 2 times P4, sl2 wyib, K4 Border.

R11:  Color A:  K4 Border, sl 1 wyif, *K4, sl 4 wyif* repeat 2 times, K4, sl 3 wyif, K4 Border.

R12: Color A:  K4 Border, P1, sl 3 wyib, *P4, sl 4 wyib* rep 2 times, P4, K4 Border.

Repeat rows 1-12 until piece is almost 8”/20cm, then knit 2 rows, bind off, leaving a 20”/50 cm tail, butterfly the tail.

color A - slip stitches

color B - slip stitches

Thanks for posting this vey pretty pattern, Wendy.  Just a note - I believe for Canada and the USA, the equivalent yarn would be sportweight.

I tried it with UK Aran on 5mm needles and using 36 stitches it came out just a fraction under 8" which is fine.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JANUARY 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2020 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2020

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

KNIT DIAGONAL SQUARE

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2020   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service