Welcome Everyone to the May theme.  :))

This month, let's share our love of music, our love for 'our' children...and have a fun time doing it!!
Related image

Squares for this month might include appliques, intarsia, duplicate stitch of.....Djembe or other drums, other African musical instruments, piano keys, guitars, trumpets, musical notes, etc.  
I have created a couple of charts for African instruments, which I am happy to share and there are numerous charts online for trumpets, guitars, drums, etc.
However, this may not be everyone's 'cup of tea', so........
how about this......
Pattern of the month (PoM) for May is PJs. 
PJs (Plain Janes, as we affectionately call them) are garter stitch or single crochet stitch squares....but they can also be textured squares created in a single colour. They are always in demand as they form the 'backbone' of each and every blanket. Almost every blanket created by the volunteers and Gogos in South Africa has mainly PJs with just a few picture squares or stripes in them, so the importance of PJs to a blanket, can NEVER be underestimated.  :))

This month for a little fun, it would be great if, when you post a pic of your PJ or your picture square, you could tell us, or post a link, of a song that has your colour or your instrument in it.
For example.....
WaffleStitch
MAY 2015 THEME - Shades of yellow
So, let's have fun making squares that feature instruments and/or PJs with colour!! Bring on those tunes, Everyone....there's plenty out there.....
And for a little extra......
Every time you post a pic of a square/squares with the name or link of a song,  your name will go into a draw for a little 'shopping trip' in the KASshop. There will be three 'trips' up for grabs. So please, get knitting, crocheting and looming....and let's make beautiful music together.

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato 

Views: 2811

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bev your double-stitch drum is amazing, and your applique squares great as always.  Love the song too - this theme has really taken me out of my musical comfort zone, and introduced me to singers and songs I'd never heard. Yet again KAS adds a new dimension to my life!

Fantastic duplicate stitching Bev, a child will love this drum..... and the applique drums too! I’m really enjoying the extra musical dimension to this month’s theme, a great idea Bev! :))

Ah, Bev, you do such a beautiful job with your squares.   I think these drums will have the children tapping out rythyms everywhere.

Loving these! 

Just a couple little notes, and some texture squares.   The stitch on the background squares is called Carrot stitch, so I had to use a nice orange yarn for it.

I couldn't think of a song to go with this group, but since we are on a bit of a drum theme, how about an African musician playing drums, modern drums not traditional, but in 5/4 time, which is quite unusual in western music (as far as I can tell) but used frequently in African music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcYWOz598dg

Perfect Pitch!! Gorgeous color and texture. 

Thanks Sharon for sharing this instrumental piece of music . Powerful sound.

Oh how lovely!  Really attractive and eye catching!

LOVE your musical notes, Sharon.....and the shade of your pretty carrot stitch squares is divine. :))

Super squares and musical choice!

Hoping orange squares are still in demand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV4YJwRStKI

Wow! I only know Orange Blossom Special by Johnny Cash but this is incredible. Love the orange squares too.

Lesley, I think squares this pretty are always in demand.   The color and all the textures are just terrific.... and then there is your song choice -- Perfect!

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
Alphabet Flashcards

The complete alphabet!

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JUNE 2019 Squares List is available.

Visit the
2019 Square Lists discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Free Pattern for

ZANNY'S BASKETWEAVE SQUARE

Click here to view the entire
KAS Pattern Book

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service