Please remember, if you click on the headings you will be taken to the current discussion page for the latest information.
UPDATES FROM THE BARN
1. It has been requested that we have an assortment of sizes for crochet hooks. We have only requested 4mm hooks in the past. If possible the team would like to have some 2.5 mm or 3 mm hooks for different gogo groups. These are what we call slip-ins in your package. Please do not declare them on your customs forms. (There has been a request for a different size of knitting needle, but we are currrently researching the size as there are 4 different standards around the world. Check back next month for an update on the knitting needles)
2. KAS is setting up a Satellite Group of gogos in the QwaQwa area of South Africa where we recently did a distribution. MONONTSHA VILLAGE The KAS barn will support their efforts with beanies and other items that may not be produced there in QwaQwa.
3. Since KAS is spreading its wings, Leanne has kindly put together a "KAS Satellite" booklet explaining how this process might work. Other communities, besides QwaQwa, have show interest in setting up satellites.
4. Please measure your squares. The barn has been receiving a wide range of sizes lately, and it takes valuable time from our volunteers to match the squares together to make a blanket. Squares should be as close as possible to 20 cm/8 inches square.
Just like the infomercials like to say..."And there is more"... so it goes in the Blanket Room. Hundreds and hundreds of blankets have been passing through the barn and the volunteers have been trying to capture all of them in photos. Check out the most recent pages from the Blanket Room here.
On August KAS picked up over 7000 squares from St Stithians Girls’ Preparatory School. They have supported KAS for many years. Read more about it here.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE THEM PERFECT??
1. Lots of blankets, hats, handwrmers and soft toys
2. Two or three of our wonderful volunteers
3. Fuel for the KASvan
This month's featured product is "Get the Motor Running"
Please visit the KAS Shop here and put $5m $10, or $30 of fuel in the van
The July 2019 Squares List is available.
Because of the heavy workload for the small KAS Team, hats, hand-warmers and toys will not be recorded anymore, but please keep sending them because they are desperately needed. In the 2019 Squares List the names of the senders, number of parcels and number of squares will be recorded. Please fill in the Packing Slip completely.
Please note that the office is inundated with packages and items on a weekly basis. The volunteers do their best, but it's impossible for them to list every single item that is sent. All efforts are made to list every parcel received. We thank you for your understanding.
The focus for 2019 and for some time to come will stay as is:
Squares for blankets, hats, hand-warmers and cuddly soft toys.
To see more details, please click HERE
In July we received 258 parcels containing 12.541 squares, equal to 358 blankets.
Many other items were received, such as hats, hand-warmers, go-overs, cuddly toys and other goodies.
~~~~~~A HEARTFELT THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS~~~~~~
Please find below the squares list as an attachment: 2019 JULY SQUARES LIST.pdf and click on it to open it:
A tidy sum of $707.54 was raised this month. Well done, everyone!
Here are the two latest installments from Leanne.
There has been lots of activity in the Barn. Just when the cake of blankets is all photographed we get more from our crafters, gogo groups and dedicated groups that sew our squares into blankets. Check out this bumper crop of squares and more.
Replies are closed for this discussion.
Thank you very much, Amy, for another bumper addition of Snips. Very interesting to read of the 'satellite' group/s. KAS is an amazing community.
Amy, what a super edition! Thank you! Just what I needed to get caught up after being out of the loop for so long ... xo
Is there a page on the site where we can print out the information sheet shown here in the snippets with the ruler on it? I have a lot of people ask me "what are you knitting?" when I am waiting in doctor's waiting rooms, etc. this would be a great handout!
Hi Arlene. Here are a couple of links....