The Knit-a-square program has inspired volunteers in more than 60 countries to knit and crochet more than 1.5 million blanket squares, hats, hand-warmers and toys. Your efforts are helping to keep the children warm but to keep this operation running every day, we need to extend your love and support.

Your donations are the backbone of financial support for the operations on the ground in South Africa, making it possible for them to continue.

Whether it's helping to pay the rent, a stipend for the gogos to sew blankets, fuel for the KasVan or to cover postal charges of $3.75 US per parcel, you make it possible to keep striving toward warming and comforting the children.

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with.

You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help.

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the KAS Finances discussion for 2020!

Here is the KasShop report for January.

This year started off on a good foot with $400.03 raised. Watch for new items this month, including a FREE download!

As a reminder, please note that the Shop charts now include the number of times an order was purchased. For example, in the past if someone made a $50 purchase of Pay the Customs Handling Fee, it would be counted as 1 x Pay the Customs Handling Fee. Now it will be counted as 10 x Pay the Customs Handling Fee ($5 x 10).

Thank you for the graphs, Andrea....and the update on new additions to the shop.

Soooo good to see that December's donations outpaced expenditures, but we mustn't rest on our laurels, as we know how quickly that can turn around.

I look forward to seeing 'what is in store' (pardon the pun) for the shop in 2020.  :))

Andrea, can you tell us in what currency the above cashflow chart is in?  There seems to be a big spike in income in December.

Hello Mili, obviously a I’m not Andrea! I don’t know the answer to many questions, but I do for this one, the currency is US dollars.

It’s always good to see positive spikes, and I guess this is due to  the Christmas fundraiser and it being the season of goodwill. As Bev as already said, sadly the situation can change very quickly.

Thanks, Chris!

Thanks, Andrea, for the wonderful graphs. It looks like there was a shortfall every month in 2019 except for February and the amazing spike in December.

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this, so I have a few questions.

Am I right in assuming that most of the KAS income comes from our ever-important ongoing subscriptions? I have the feeling that this is what really keeps KAS afloat. It's an amount that Ronda can depend on each month, supplemented of course by one-off donations, income from the KAS Shop and our occasional fund raisers.

How on earth does Ronda manage in months where there is a shorfall?

Does the income spike in December mean that she will have a 'cushion' going in to 2020 that can be spread out over the next several months if there is a shortfall?

I wonder if Ronda would wade in here and explain what is KAS' main source of income and how she manages, particularly if there are several shortfall months in a row. It amazes me that they manage on such a limited budget and it would be a shame if lack of funds ever slowed down the vital work we are doing.

I think we all need to keep in mind that squares are not enough, and the best way we can support KAS is by signing up for even a small ongoing subscription of $5-10 per month.

I realize that everyone is paying large postage costs to send their squares, but this can be reduced somewhat by saving up our squares and mailing larger parcels less often.

Yes a bit of clarity would help. I think you are right what really keeps KAS afloat is the regular subs. Even $5 a month is taking away some of that worry. I suspect that once the surplace is away it  is Ronda and her husband who take up the slack. 

The financials have been updated above.

Here is the expenses breakdown for January:

Below is a refresher of what is included in each category.

Rental Payment: utilities, rent, insurance, parking

Volunteer Expenses: food, transportation

Outreach Expenses: food distribution, transportation, misc. expenses related to outreach

Office Expenses: bank charges, accounting fees, cleaning, cells, printing

Vehicle Expenses: fuel, tolls, parking

Misc. Expenses: equipment, members fees, subscriptions

Thanks, Andrea, especially for the 'refresher'.  Can you tell us what is included in the enormous 28% that goes to Courier and Postage?  Is it mostly Customs and handling fees or are there other expenses in this category?

I wish I could. Ronda lists it as simply “Courier & Postage” in the Excel sheet. If I had to guess, I would say Customs handling fees are included. This would make sense because I just remembered that Ronda freed 4 or 5 parcels from the post office last month. 

Here is the KasShop report for January.

Despite being a leap year, February is still a short month so our total of $240.79 shouldn't be too surprising.

The financials have been updated above.

A note from Ronda:

"We are in total lockdown now, for three weeks from 26th March to 16th April.

Possibly longer, since it is virtually impossible for the informal settlement residents to practice social distancing.

The government is doing its best (better late than never perhaps) but the housing infrastructure is not functional, and they are now bundling people into makeshift shelters.

It is too painful to watch … all we can do is pray.

KAS is completely shut down until 5th May – maybe longer depending on the status after this official lockdown is over.

Our Sowetan board members are at risk in their residential areas and even though they all live in brick houses – their residences are cheek by jowl with the informal dwellers.

Peter and I are blessed. Our young neighbour will do a weekly grocery shop for us and we can occupy our time preparing for our move, which may now only take place around end June.

Not a priority at this stage !!

Praying for your safety and that of all our much loved friends and contributors worldwide.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

P.S. I SHOULD have added … what an absolutely INCREDIBLE show of generosity and love this list portrays, from our PAYPAL contributors.

We are greatly humbled by the support of every single person involved."

Here is the expenses breakdown for February:

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The MARCH 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2020 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2020

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

CHAIN STITCH SQUARE

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2020   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service