The Knit-a-square program has inspired volunteers in more than 60 countries to knit and crochet more than 1.5 million blanket squares, hats, hand-warmers and toys. Your efforts are helping to keep the children warm but to keep this operation running every day, we need to extend your love and support.

Your donations are the backbone of financial support for the operations on the ground in South Africa, making it possible for them to continue.

Whether it's helping to pay the rent, a stipend for the gogos to sew blankets, fuel for the KasVan or to cover postal charges of $3.75 US per parcel, you make it possible to keep striving toward warming and comforting the children.

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with.

You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help.

Views: 2136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Joy!

Good on ya', Joy!  :))

Do we still have the Pay the Customs Fees item in the shop?  I could not find it and I wanted to link to it on the UK FB page..........

Here is the KasShop report for September.

Thanks to an incredibly generous donation, we managed to surpass $1,000 with very few items being purchased. The total for September was $1,184.72.

This will help Ronda and her team eke things out for a bit.

The financials have been updated above. The lines are neck and neck! Ronda's note was short and sweet:

"Expenses were lower than normal because of the public holiday on 24th, but nice to see anyway !"

Here is the expenses breakdown for September:

Here is the KasShop report for October. A little late and not necessarily good news.

Our total is a dreary $230.23. I don't mean to be pessimistic and I know we're coming into a hard time of year. However, Ronda and her team need all of our help just now. I'll be posting the financials for October soon but the long and the short of it is that the coffers are empty.

oh dear Andrea  - have sent a donation which I hope helps. 

Hi Andrea.   Another donation made to help Rhonda and the team.   Can't have empty coffers!  Jill

That's kind of sad news. Andrea.  May I remind everyone to visit the Let's Talk Shop discussion here?  Our little KAS Shop is chock full of inexpensive gifts.  In Let's Talk Shop, we have a heap of ideas for all those hard-to-buy-for people on your list - things you may not have even considered.  While you are there, you might even meet Aunt Nellie....

REMEMBER - 100% of everything you spend in the KAS Shop goes directly to KAS SA to keep the coffers filled

The financials have been updated above. Donations are sorely needed. Here's a word from Ronda to help explain:

"We really have got to the end of the funds, which is probably good timing being end of the year.

But at our board meeting on Tuesday I discussed the bank balance with the volunteers in order to prepare them for the possibility of our NOT being able to give them a Christmas gratuity each.

Our overall expenses have gone up so much in South Africa – the cost of food and fuel and the post office costs have rocketed.

And of course we put the gogo blanket payment up to R15/blanket at the beginning of the year and that has really taken its toll – next year we will need to monitor the groups very carefully to make sure they are not rushing to complete their blankets and coming back twice in the same month to deliver and receive their payment. Certainly, it has galvanized the gogo groups into action – they have been far more proactive this year about sewing and rushing back for their reward !!!!

At the board meeting the Sowetan members showed themselves to be very keen to do distributions outside the province … they are being contacted by creche’s and daycares in Mpumulanga, Northwest Province and the Free State which is wonderful, but may present some logistical problems.

It would entail having Themba and one volunteer driving to the venue, doing the distribution and spending one night over before driving back, depending on the actual distance of course. 

For instance, Wandi comes from Komatipoort on the Mozambique border and that is at least 5 hours from Johannesburg.  I know she is very keen on doing a distribution in that area.

I have said that all depends on funding – and whether or not we can put it together from a practical point of view … but we could look at it in due course…

…The volunteers ALSO want to do extra distributions during the working week, not only on Tuesdays but on Weds/Thurs too where possible…

…However, Mabel’s husband – for instance – is a driver by profession and he would, I think, like to help out on the occasions that it all works out with his schedule.

He is actually taking the KASvan to Sasolburg next week full of 200 x blankets and other items for Mabel’s big distribution there…

The GOOD news is that we will probably reach 5000 blankets distributed in 2019 which is better than expected given the backlog and hold up brought on by the Xoli blanket project – entirely my fault !!

Through ALL this, please know that we remain deeply grateful to… ALL the wonderful ladies overseas for their generosity during the year and the beautiful parcels which keep rolling in – and for being able to keep going with this work which is such a great blessing.

Our last opening day will be Tuesday 10th and we will celebrate Wandi’s birthday which is on 8th Dec."

Here is the expenses breakdown for October:

Andrea, I don't think the cash flow chart at the top of this page is updated for October.  Can you give us an idea about how much total deficit there is for the year?  Also, approximately how much would it cost to sponsor a trip like the one Wandi wants to do?  I'm sure costs are an ongoing concern for those in SA.  Just trying to understand how much the need is.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2019 Squares List is available.

Visit the
2019 Square Lists discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

Framed Stripes Square

Click here to view the entire
KAS Pattern Book

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service