In July, Alice Latha reached out to Knit a Square to provide warmth to the children in Free State.  We had a marvelous distribution there in the Monontsha Village with songs and a hike  up the hill.  

Read all about it Here.

Then we had a Celebration Distribution with Mabel dressed in her beautiful colors, in August.  LINK

In September, Mabel returned to the area to start up a KAS satellite group for sewing blankets together to warm children in the surrounding area.  Please remember this is over 300 km away from our KAS Barn.

LINK

We are now going to report all the marvelous things that are happening with this group here in one page.  Please follow along on this amazing journey...

One week after Mabel instructed the adults how to sew blankets, school children were introduced to the project.  Here is Alice's report:

We are glad one of the schools in Free State is assisting us to join squares for free. The Principal take this as an education to kids so that they can learn to work hard . The school has lot of vulnerable kids, disabled and orphans who attend classes there. Others don't even have school shoes nor uniform. At least they will sew the blankets for their own benefit. When they are done with blankets we will donate to them. Thanks to Knit-a-Square team, May God bless your hard work.

Views: 1298

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

So sad and yet so joyful. It is humbling to think a simple gift of a blanket can reduce some one to such tears of gratitude.

I am so happy to be a small part of the KAS family, to know that I can make a difference in someone's life. It is so good to see that the arms of KAS can reach out so far to embrace those in need.

Lovely also to see the children so intent on sewing up the squares that will keep them warm. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts on this page and seeing the photos of the children.

I am so happy that KAS is reaching out to communities in such great need and wonderful that people are helping themselves and each other. It’s hard for us to truly understand dire poverty, but at least we can help in a small way. Mabel and Alice are doing a great job as do all the KAS TEAM. THANKS LADIES and keep up the good work and we’ll do our bit. Such a great organisation I’m proud to be a little part of. 

Wonderful activity!!

Alice had another distribution this weekend.  November 30-December 1.

She writes:

Thank you so much KAS, last week when we distributed blankets in Lindley we had a few left and today, my son, Vuyane and I managed to travel to the most cold area next to mountains that is in Qwaqwa and we touched other kids lives too by distributing the blankets to their area called Makgalaneng Village at Qwaqwa. We thank all the knitters around the world for their contributions, May God bless them all.

I have been wrong in the photo identifications of Alice up to this point, and am very sorry for this.  In this first photos is Alice and her son Vuyane.  Alice is on the right.

Photos from the distribution.

Our Free State Satellite Group has had two more distributions at the end of 2019.

Here are pictures and a note from Alice from the Sunday church distribution on December 29.

The last distribution for KAS was done by our Free State Satellite group on New Year's Eve in Ficksburg.  It is southwest of Clarens where Athele had her Christmas Eve distribution.

Alice writes on Facebook:

Thanks to Knit-a-square for making this young ones warm. MAY GOD BLESS ALL THE CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE WORLD THIS IS HOW WE CELEBRATED OUR LAST SUNDAY OF 2019.

We thank God for this beautiful blankets that were contributed from Knit-a-square around the world. The blankets were knitted by many groups of this charity organization for our beloved kids in South Africa. Thanks to APC for allowing us to be part of congregation today.

More photos from the December 31, distribution.

Fabulous pictures, thank you X

From the new year.  January 5, 2020 distribution.

This distribution was done by my son on the 05th of January 2020 we only had those few blankets (6) as left overs from Ficksburg distributions. Then my Son Vuyane decided to go to the other area called Irag imformal settlement to distribute those few blankets to kids  on First Sunday. Atl east few of Kids who are vulnerable had received blankets on first Sunday of 2020. Hope the KAS team in South Africa will keep on sharing blankets with us in 2020 so that we can reach more kids In Free State Province. 

This 4 kids are siblings, because my son never had enough blankets to give them and they were all looking forward to get. He requested them to share and they we so happy that at least the have something. Thank you so much I'm so humbled.

I have some warm woollen blankets in the pipeline that I will send in April in time for winter in SA.  I have the Free State in mind.

Thanks to all who made these distributions possible. The last 4 children, siblings needing to share the 2 blankets..... I so wish that they each had one, but better sharing than none at all. The green, rust and cream striped blanket in these photos is mine from the July theme, so glad to see it wrapped around little ones.

I thought so, it was yours. You must be thrilled to see it shared by siblings, I'm .  

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2020

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JULY 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2020 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2020

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

Diagonal Square

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2020   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service