KAS Sisters, here we are, living a global nightmare, with almost every country in the world affected. We are all worried, many of us fall into the vulnerable senior group, and it seems the ‘new normal’ is to stay away from people, go out as little as possible, just hunker down and hope we and our loved ones don’t succumb to the virus.

Fortunately, our Forum is one of the safest places we can be.  We can reach out to our friends, chat, share our feelings about this pandemic and how it is temporarily changing our lives.  We can share ideas on how we are protecting ourselves as much as possible, how we are managing to keep from going nuts if quarantined, and maybe, just maybe, we can even find something to giggle about in the midst of this tragic event.  In other words, anything goes.

I hope we can fight this pandemic, armed only with knitting needles, crochet hooks, balls of yarn, our sense of compassion, and even our sense of humour.  I hope we can share our feelings in this safe place where no viruses can go (unless your computer has one).  It’s OK to express frustration or fears, and it’s OK to rejoice if you feel like it.  None of us have ever faced anything like this before – let’s get through it together, ’cause that’s what Kas Sisters do.

Views: 6014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When hubby got fuel today at the self serve gas bar I had the bottle of hand sanitizing gel ready the moment he got back in the car. I agree fully with using tissues or whatever else is handy.  We have many fast food serviettes in the car that we can use in future.

Here is another idea for combatting Cabin Fever.  Get involved in working a new pattern :)

I have been creating a couple of simple Illusion Knitting patterns.  Two of our dear KAS sisters kindly agreed to test them for me.  Thank you, Jude and Karla!  Here is one that has passed the test for anyone who would like to give it a go.

Illusion Knitting is best done with smaller needles.  I use one size smaller (sometimes one-and-a-half or two times smaller) than recommended on the yarn ball band.  This technique is also best worked using a not-so-fuzzy yarn.

You will need two high contrast colors.  In the case of this candy cane, I used three colors and just alternated the red and green withthe white all the way up.  White is the background color, and red and green are the ‘picture’ colors.  No need to cut the yarn at each row - just carry it up the side.  All color changes are at the right side edge.

Perhaps you already have an understanding of Illusion (or Shadow) knitting.  If not, here is a site that explains it and offers some phenomenal examples:  http://www.illusionknitting.woollythoughts.com/information.html

Of course, my simple little patterns are nothing compared to some of the ones on the Woolly Thoughts site.  I am not an artist, so just create some simple drawings.

When knitting an illusion square, all right-side rows are knit.  The ‘illusion’ is created by what is worked on the wrong side rows.

Here is a picture of the candy cane square I made - shown from both angles.  On the left is the square viewed straight on.  On the right is the square viewed from an angle, as a child would see it when looking down on it, perhaps.

There is a border of 6 stitches on either side of this square.  If you find you need fewer or more stitches in order to create an 8” square, this is where you could delete or add stitches.

NOTE:  If any one of you is better at creating Illusion patterns and would like to offer suggestions for improvements, they will be most welcome.  "Our" children will be the winners when the squares are created :) ... xo

I worked this on 3.5mm needles with medium worsted yarn.

WHITE 

1.  Cast on 32 sts. (RS)

2.  KNIT (WS)

GREEN

3.  KNIT

4.  KNIT

WHITE

5.  KNIT

6.  K11, P3, K18

RED

7.  KNIT

8.  K6, P5, K3, P12, K6

WHITE

9.  KNIT

10. K12, P3, K17

GREEN

11.  KNIT

12.  K6, P6, K3, P11, K6

WHITE

13.  KNIT

14.  K13, P3, K16

RED

15.  KNIT

16.  K6, P7, K3, P10,  K6

WHITE

17.  KNIT

18.  K14, P3, K15

GREEN

19.  KNIT

20.  K6, P8, K3, P9, K6

WHITE

21.  KNIT

22.  K15, P3, 14

RED

23.  KNIT

24.  K6, P9, K3, P8, K6

WHITE

25.  KNIT

26.  K16, P3, K13

GREEN

27.  KNIT

28.  K6, P10, K3, P7, K6

WHITE

29.  KNIT

30.  K17, P3, K12

RED

31.  KNIT

32.  K6, P11, K3, P6, K6

WHITE

33.  KNIT

34.  K18, P3, K11

GREEN

35.  KNIT

36.  K6, P12, K3, P5, K6

WHITE

37.  KNIT

38.  K19, P3, K10

RED

39.  KNIT

40.  K6, P13, K3, P4, K6

WHITE

41.  KNIT

42.  K12, P3, K5, P3, K9

GREEN

43.  KNIT

44.  K6, P6, K3, P5, K3, P3, K6

WHITE

45.  KNIT

46.  K11, P3, K5, P3, K10

RED

47.  KNIT

48.  K6, P5, K3, P5, K3, P4, K6

WHITE

49.  KNIT

50.  K13, P3, K2, P3, K11

GREEN

51.  KNIT

52.  K6, P7, K3, P2, K3, P5, K6

WHITE

53.  KNIT

54.  K16, P2, K14

RED

55.  KNIT

56.  K6, P10, K2, P8, K6

WHITE

57.  KNIT

58.  KNIT

GREEN

59.  KNIT

60.  KNIT

WHITE

61.  KNIT

62.  KNIT

RED

63.  KNIT

64.  Cast off

If you prefer a chart, here is one to follow.  This chart shows only the wrong side rows, as all right-side rows are knit.  So … the first row (bottom) is actually Row 2 of the pattern.  The chart is read from left to right.

All white squares are purled (P)

All grey squares are knit with the background color (white) (K)

All black squares are knit with the “picture” color (either red or green) (K)

THANK YOU, GLO!  This looks like a lot of fun. Nothing breaks boredom better than trying something new.

Thank you for the pattern. I had decided to try to do two things I have never make before - a granny square (crochet) and a cable knit. I will try this one also. Do you have other simply beginner patterns for your pattern?

Arlene, what a great idea to with try new things.  It keeps the mind sharp, fills in the spaces, and makes the time go faster ... :))))  Good luck with your new endeavors!

I'm thrilled that you want to try my pattern.  There are several illusion patterns online, which is how I got started :)  I am currently working on a couple more of my own that I will definitely share with you all when I get them finished and tested.  Stay tuned ... xo

Hey everyone, have you seen Glo's new discussion - Tally Rally here

Since we are housebound and probably knitting or crocheting squares to keep from going around the bend, Glo decided that it would be a good idea to keep a count of what we make.  Visit her discussion and add your stack to the tally.  This will go on for many months, so don't forget to drop in and record your stack of squares every now and then.

Just have to tell you about another great store and how they are making if possible for folks to satisfy their shopping urges in this time of isolation.  Michael's, a craft chain here in Canada (and probably the USA)  has started a new service. I'm not sure if the stores are actually open, since most things are closed, but each week when they publish their flyer, customers can order what they want, pay with a credit card, and pick up outside the store.  My daughter tried it yesterday.  All she had to do was call in with her order # when she arrived at the store and a clerk brought her order out and placed it in her trunk. Easy-peasy no-contact shopping!

This is great news!   I just did the same thing with a lumber store.  I ran out of nail for my spring garden boxes and they did the same service.  Thanks sooooo much for sharing this information!

Fab news, Anne.  I'm still trying to figure out how I can order my groceries online and have them delivered or pick them up at the curb.  Yes, some of the stores here are doing that but I can't seem to get my head around how to order them :((  BUT ... I can just betcha I won't have any trouble figuring out how to order more yarn ... hahahaha ... xo

Had to smile (sadly) at this, Gloria.  Having never shopped for groceries online, I decided this was the time to do it and spent hours working it out, signing up and filling my virtual baskets, only to find two of the stores don't deliver to our area and the third can't deliver until 21 April!  I think we may be a little hungry by then  :((

Well, Lesley, you seem to have done better than I did.  I was loading a virtual cart from a store that I know has curbside pick up and not very far from me.  However, when I went to 'checkout' and pay, I was told that my cart was empty!  So either I loaded someone else's cart, or I turned my head for a minute and someone else stole my cart, or I'm just plain daft.  I go with #3 ... hahahahaha  Why is it that ordering yarn is so much easier than ordering milk???  xo

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The MARCH 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2020 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2020

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

CHAIN STITCH SQUARE

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2020   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service