CHRISTMAS FUN - LET’S SHARE WITH ONE ANOTHER

Here we are, a community of friends from all around the world, but even though we get to know one another here on the Forum, we never get to "drop in" on one another.

This discussion is meant to invite our KASfriends into our homes for a bit of a Christmas celebration.

Please post some of your favourite things here so we can all enjoy them

Ideas

- a photo of your Christmas tree

- photo of your favourite Christmas decoration

- your favourite Christmas recipe

- a Christmas family tradition

- the silliest gift you have ever given or received

- your funniest Christmas ‘disaster’

- something unique about Christmas in your country

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!

Views: 4770

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I know, I know, - I post this every year and most of you have read it already, but here it is again for our new members on the forum..... KNIT-A-SQUARE KNONSENSE #7

THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS     or - HOW I WISH IT COULD BE IN SOWETO

‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the camp

Orphans were huddled in hovels quite damp

No stockings were hung, for the world didn’t care

There was no hope at all that St. Nick would be there.

The Gogo sat watching the kids fast asleep

And for their lost parents, she started to weep.

A small gift for each, she thought through her tears

Would bring them such joy for the whole coming year.

And she curled up beside the smallest wee tad,

"Tomorrow we’ll sing, I won’t let them be sad.."

Then outside the hut, she heard a commotion

It sounded like hoof-beats - fear was her emotion.

She peeked out the door with her heart in her throat

Saw a little old man and eight small antelope

And the strangest of vehicles - with runners not wheels

And a jolly old fellow in red head to heels.

The Go-go was panicked, didn’t know what to think.

But Santa just smiled and gave her a wink.

"Don’t be afraid - let me in if you dare

I’ve a sackful of gifts sent by Knit-a-Square."

As he entered the shack and looked down at each kid

Fast asleep on the ground, down his cheek a tear slid.

Then he reached in his pack and pulled out for each child

A beautiful blanket of squares bright and wild.

As he bent down to cover them from above

He whispered "This was made, for you, with great love.

All over the world, people know, and they care.

The work of their hands , with you they now share."

He waved the Gogo goodbye, and went to the door,

Then he stopped and said "Oops - there still is one more"

And out of his sack pulled a blanket for her

Wrapped it close round her shoulders - as cuddly as fur.

As she watched from the door., and saw him depart

The warmth she was feeling, was deep in her heart.

And she heard him exclaim as the sled rose on high

Merry Christmas Soweto, from the knitters and I.

AP 12/09

I have never read it before Anne and THANK YOU for sharing it here.  It's wonderful!  I shall give my brain time to warm up and see what I can add to this discussion thread. Meanwhile, thank you so much for this superb poem!

Oh my gosh you're good! No, I haven't read it before either. Seriously how does this flow out of you?! Such a sweet poem, thanks for sharing.

Anne, please continue to post this every year !   Each time I read it I become teary thinking about 'our' children. How wonderful that KAS can give these children love and comfort in the form of a warm blanket.

I know it is not nice to laugh at other peoples misfortunes Maggie, but that is a perfect scene out of a comedy farce! Hopefully, a long time has passed since then and you are able to laugh and forgive John for moving the chair!

Maggie, my tree is up by Dec. 1 too, and like you, I have so many decorations that it takes ages to decorate it. (I work on the theory that there's no such thing as too many decorations)  Looking forward to seeing your photos.

I am looking forwards to seeing photos of both your trees ladies! I have to wait a couple of weeks to put up my tree as we use a real tree and it dries out too fast from Dec. 1st, darn it.  We gave up on artificial trees in 2011 after our newest cat trashed 2 of them.  Great jungle climbing gym for a cat...sigh.  :)

Thanks for sharing this. It was my first time seeing it. It's wonderful!

Oooh, this has brought a tear to my eye !

Thank you

Marion M

I am just now seeing this discussion and thread!  Your poem is beautiful and heartwarming Anne, your talent with writing is amazing!  What do you think about me posting your poem on the KAS facebook page?  Let me know if you think it's a good idea!

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful poem!  

Absolutely touching and heart-warming Anne - well done!!!

Okay here's a picture of our Christmas tree from this last year. Outside it's that white because it's wall to wall snow. :)

We found this 1960's retro tree topper star, in the original packaging and now it's got pride of place atop our tree. Hubby wanted an "old style" and we sure found one in a thrift store, it radiates halos of colors on the white fibers.

The big bag on the floor on the left is a new briefcase for hubby, his was totally worn out. The couch on the right was my bed at that time (I've since graduated to a lounger chair) but the couch held all our stockings. 

One of our traditions is to always leave a letter, cookies and milk for Santa each Christmas Eve on a special Santa plate.  Yes, we're all adults, just because we had to grow old doesn't mean we had to grow up!  Santa always writes a return letter....here's an excerpt from a 2011 letter to Santa written by our oldest, We had 3 home visiting that year.

"Dear Santa, Merry Christmas St. Nick! We are so excited to have you back at 219 V _____ for another Haessler Christmas.  And we thank you for saving our house until last in D____ -we know we are probably the last house to go to bed every year!

This year we are super excited to have M (son) with us but unfortunately L and R had to stay in USA so please make sure to stop in to C---- while you're in the USA.  We also have a new guest in the house, Chester, the ginger tabby.  You can thank him for the lovely Spruce tree up in our living room--he completely destroyed the artificial tree we put up earlier (and has even managed to knock this one over once!) Please leave him some coal.

We have all been good this year--we are blessed to have a warm home, food in the fridge and gifts under the tree. We've left some treats here for you, we hope you enjoy them! If your milk is only half full when you arrive that means the cats have been into it.  Please feel free to pour yourself another glass! Thank you for bringing joy to our home every December and travel safe!  With love (and high hopes for our empty stockings---hint hint)

signed all 3 kids and the pets. I shall put Santa's reply for 2011 in the reply to this.  :)

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
African Animal Flashcards

The complete alphabet!

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JULY 2019 Squares List is available.

Visit the
2019 Square Lists discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

Mitre Square

Click here to view the entire
KAS Pattern Book

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service