Knit a Square is planning its first ever mass distribution of blankets on April 6 this year.  You may have read about this in Leanne's Blog That Warm Fuzzy Feeling.  We want to give you some more information about this endeavor and have a discussion page dedicated to photos and updates.

Each bag is packed with ten blankets and these are ready to be picked up.

The distribution is scheduled to take place on April 6, and Tracy Timberlake is organizing the event through her home church.  KAS volunteers will be involved and will assist as needed.

The children who are to receive the blankets will come from informal settlements spread over a large area northwest of Johannesburg.  Here there are smallholdings, lots of plots and many farm-working families that live in informal groups.  Wendy and Ronda went to Kromdraai with Pastor Willem in 2012. This is one location from that area.  Ronda says she and Wendy were horrified at the living condition and the social degradation of the area.

1. Our KAS Barn is located in Randburg, our post office is in Bryanston.    
  3.    Every weekend there are 950 children who walk, presumably with adults, up to 12 kilometers (about 7.5 miles) on Saturday to collect their weekly "ration" of food.  The man who set this up originally is currently having chemo treatments, so area churches have stepped in to help with the process.  Tracy's church is one of those organization.  The small idea of feeding a few has snowballed into a very large job.  Our KAS blankets and the food rations will be handed out by many helpers.

Knit a Square is also providing a beanie and pair of hand-warmers with every blanket. Tracey's church members will be rolling these into the blankets before distribution.

Tracey will pick up the first 500 blankets on February 19.

What can those of us around the world do to help with this effort?  Well, our shelves will be empty and our supplies of beanies and hand-warmers will be  diminished. Those will need to be replenished before the cooler temperatures of fall and the cold temperatures of winter arrive.  KAS's distributions start in late April.

KAS is hoping that with a distribution of 950-1000 blankets at one time, we will be able to save money on fuel, and still reach as many children as possible in need of being wrapped in warmth. (The average price of gasoline/liter in South Africa for the last three months has been 15.16 rand.  This equals 1.11USD/liter, or for those of you in the USA $4.21/gallon.)

Please keep checking here for updates and photos from this event.

As always, we thank every one of you for your continued support.

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me too Lesley! I know the blankets are so important for warmth and health but the joy of a toy... I must see if I can find any good ones second hand. I'm not that great at producing them.

I wish we had a WOW button instead of a "like" button for this!  Wowsa. This is awesome and fabulous.  I am SO delighted to read about this and hear what's going on.  I can definitely do more hats, I enjoy loom knitting them up.  That'll keep me out of mischief for a while, to stock up the numbers for after April and just in time for their winter.  My yarn stash might actually diminish for once!  That'd be a wonder in itself, haha.   This whole event just lifts my spirits so much. I am beyond delighted that so much will be done.  Yippee!!!

Thank you for opening up this discussion category, Amy. I feel so privileged to be a part of KAS’s work in this way! And very humbled: a lot of trust has been placed in me and I don’t take that lightly!

Just to clarify two things:

Firstly, I don’t know if any Churches are directly involved with the weekly charity work where the distribution will take place. To the best of my knowledge, the volunteers are individuals and occasional business groups. 

Secondly, we have recruited the young adults and youth groups at our Church to help us because we are directly involved with those ministries as leaders and have relationships there, but this hasn’t been commissioned as a general Church project.

Together with my little family (our eldest is 22, our youngest (number 6) is expected a few weeks after the distribution), we actively seek opportunities to serve together and ‘be the change we want to see in the world’. So this essentially began as a family project and as it grew in scope, we recruited some help from within our Church ranks because we realized we needed it! Above needing the extra help, our desire is to help the young people we help lead to see how, even outside of the Church, they can (and must) be the hands of Jesus to those in need.

I don’t think that changes anything but I’d hate anyone to think I’ve misrepresented any facts!

Thank you everyone for making this happen! The children who will receive the blankets, handwarmers and hats are among the most needy I have ever worked with and will desperately need the warmth once winter comes. I can say with complete assurance that every single one needs and will be deeply appreciative of your effort and loving care!

Tracy, thank you very much for this information.  You and your family are doing wonderful work.  I wish you all well as you carry out this huge undertaking.  We all do our very best from our own little corners of the world.  Thank you for distributing comfort those who need it ... xo

Tracey thank you for the added details to this discussion, and clarification.

It is wonderful to see a community pulling together to help those in need.

Thank you Tracy, for your additional information. What beautiful work and rolemodelling you are doing.

Wishing you all the best for the distribution and #6. Take care.   xo

Tracy, God bless you and your family for serving the SA children as an example of Christ!

Thanks for the update, Tracy.  It is wonderful that you have involved the young adults and youth groups in this project.

Our church sends a group of youth to the Dominican Republic every second year. They help run a Vacation Bible School for underprivileged children for 10 days.  When our team comes home, they are different.  Not only have their eyes been opened, but also their hearts.

Estelle Posted these fabulous photos on Facebook from the barn on 2-19-19.

Tracy-Jayne Timberlake, Cael and Michael collected the first 500 blankets for the April distribution. They needed to make two trips but now we have space to start all over again for the next 450.

Please remember that Tracy's 6th baby is due at the end of April.  Truly amazing.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
Baskets of Yarn
for the Barn

Available in small, medium and large!

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JANUARY 2019 Squares List is available.

Please click

HERE

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns.…

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Gloria Grandy Jan 29.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service