Knit a Square is planning its first ever mass distribution of blankets on April 6 this year.  You may have read about this in Leanne's Blog That Warm Fuzzy Feeling.  We want to give you some more information about this endeavor and have a discussion page dedicated to photos and updates.

Each bag is packed with ten blankets and these are ready to be picked up.

The distribution is scheduled to take place on April 6, and Tracy Timberlake is organizing the event through her home church.  KAS volunteers will be involved and will assist as needed.

The children who are to receive the blankets will come from informal settlements spread over a large area northwest of Johannesburg.  Here there are smallholdings, lots of plots and many farm-working families that live in informal groups.  Wendy and Ronda went to Kromdraai with Pastor Willem in 2012. This is one location from that area.  Ronda says she and Wendy were horrified at the living condition and the social degradation of the area.

1. Our KAS Barn is located in Randburg, our post office is in Bryanston.    
  3.    Every weekend there are 950 children who walk, presumably with adults, up to 12 kilometers (about 7.5 miles) on Saturday to collect their weekly "ration" of food.  The man who set this up originally is currently having chemo treatments, so area churches have stepped in to help with the process.  Tracy's church is one of those organization.  The small idea of feeding a few has snowballed into a very large job.  Our KAS blankets and the food rations will be handed out by many helpers.

Knit a Square is also providing a beanie and pair of hand-warmers with every blanket. Tracey's church members will be rolling these into the blankets before distribution.

Tracey will pick up the first 500 blankets on February 19.

What can those of us around the world do to help with this effort?  Well, our shelves will be empty and our supplies of beanies and hand-warmers will be  diminished. Those will need to be replenished before the cooler temperatures of fall and the cold temperatures of winter arrive.  KAS's distributions start in late April.

KAS is hoping that with a distribution of 950-1000 blankets at one time, we will be able to save money on fuel, and still reach as many children as possible in need of being wrapped in warmth. (The average price of gasoline/liter in South Africa for the last three months has been 15.16 rand.  This equals 1.11USD/liter, or for those of you in the USA $4.21/gallon.)

Please keep checking here for updates and photos from this event.

As always, we thank every one of you for your continued support.

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for opening this discussion, Amy. Wow, what an undertaking this will be.....will follow with much interest.

Amy, thank you for this information.  It will be interesting to follow this distribution through.

Rolling up our sleeves and restocking the shelves is what we do best, eh :) ... xo

Such a great way to minister to so many!!  I'm already praying for the children who will be coming, the volunteers, enough blankets, good weather, etc.  I just posted a fundraising idea in Let's Talk Shop for this specific distribution.  And, I'm continuing to knit my PJs to help fill the shelves. :)

Thank you so much, Joy, for your support, whether it be ideas, prayers or crafting.  xo

Way to go on the PJ's Joy as they are needed so much to "tie" the blankets together, and make all the stripey and patterned squares play nicely together.   I agree, this is a thrilling undertaking, it really really is.

Thanks for this discussion, Amy.  I must admit, when I first heard of the mass distribution, I had a lot of questions and some reservations.  I could not imagine how they could bring that many children together, but when tied in to the weekly food distribution, it all makes sense.

We will have to get our hooks and needles flying to replenish the shelves.

Looking forward to more nes of this endeavour.

Thanks Amy for sharing the info on this mammoth undertaking. Clearly our support is needed in restocking the shelves, and as Joy has mentioned, we need to put our thinking caps on for raising much needed funds.

so no toys for the kids? just checking as I just gave two extra teddies to my mom for posting thinking that this distribution may have  a need for toys...

No toys mentioned at the moment.  I can ask Ronda, but she way be saving those for other KAS distributions in April through July.  We often has distribution without toys....so sad.

Due to the size of the distribution, and the range in ages from 18 months to early teen, I felt adding toys into the mix might complicate matters. But please keep sending toys - the play centers and little schools where most KAS distributions take place really need them!

thanks for letting us know Tracy! I will continue to send toys and it looks like handwarmers would be good to get cracking on!

I had the same thought as Mary, noticing that toys weren't mentioned. I realise it's a huge task, but it would be wonderful to think that all of those children could find a toy in their bundle - let's see if we can raise 950 toys too! (Another teddy on my needles - I'll keep going!)

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
Baskets of Yarn
for the Barn

Available in small, medium and large!

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JANUARY 2019 Squares List is available.

Please click

HERE

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns.…

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Gloria Grandy Jan 29.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service