In the fall of 2018 we asked our volunteers in the KAS Barn what they would like to see as monthly themes for the coming year.  They came up with A Slice of Africa for February.

This month we want you to explore Africa, maybe be inspired by the designs and colors in African fabrics and beadwork.

Take a peak at traditional housing and cooking implements.

Maybe you can work up some squares or toys like these that embrace the flora and fauna that is unique to Africa or commonly found in Africa.

Every year we like to have a theme that also focuses on Mandela Day in July.  If we prepare our squares and ship them early enough, they can be made into blankets for our special Mandela Day Distributions in July. 

Nelson Mandela, Inaugural Address, Pretoria 9 May 1994 after being elected President of South Africa

We enter into a covenant that we shall build a society in which all South Africans, both black and white, will be able to walk tall, without and fear in their hearts, assured of their inalienable right to human dignity – a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world.

We can't wait to see what our crafters come up with this year.

The KAS Pattern for the month is the Wheel Spoke by Linda Maltby. 

If you crochet why don't you give it a try.

THEME PHOTO ALBUM

Views: 1483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Forum Antonija.  I love you precious appliques.

Your work is so beautiful and you have mastered crochet.

Welcome! I love your squares!

These squares are SUPERB, Antonija.  :)) Love the colours and your animals are so very cute! 

A 16" Rainbow Mandala Square, celebrating the Rainbow Nation.

Wow! What a GLORIOUS square, Marion! Love, love, love it!!

Wow! Beautiful!

Another beauty, Marion.  Two rainbows in one. There will be one lucky child in SA to get this in their blanket.

Divine, Marion, and the pale blue background sets it off beautifully.

Marion, the beauty you create for the children is amazing.  What a superb centerpiece this will make!  And ... I absolutely LOVE the color of the background square ... just sayin' ;)  xo

A stunning creation once more, Marion!! Perfect!!

February 2019 Theme - A Slice of Africa

Traditional cooking pot. More info here...https://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/pot-food.html

Bev, this is another example of your beautiful duplicate stitching!  I'm sure the children are thrilled when they find one of your picture squares in their blanket!  This one is fabulous.  I love that sunny yellow background square.

Thank you for the link ... very interesting.  Some potjiekos meals really gave leftovers a new meaning :)  I can only imagine how heavy the pot was! xo

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
Baskets of Yarn
for the Barn

Available in small, medium and large!

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JANUARY 2019 Squares List is available.

Please click

HERE

2019 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2019

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns.…

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Gloria Grandy Jan 29.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

© 2019   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service