If you wish to add a pattern for a hat you have made, please insert it at the end of this discussion and include a photo with the pattern.
We ask that you do not just include links to patterns online that you have not actually tried.

** PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MAKE HATS LARGE ENOUGH TO FIT CHILDREN 4 YEARS AND UP - REMEMBER THAT A CHILD OF 4 HAS ALMOST AN ADULT SIZED HEAD*****

Views: 3425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks, hope it inspires others to make one, he has my eyelashes!

Oh, lucky both of you!

I love your hat (and what a handsome son) and thoroughly enjoyed looking at your blog. Great promotion of KAS too.

thanks, i have sent lots of stuff to KAS but before I started my blog, I have photos so i'll try and post some more.

I love this hat, it's so cheery and what a great way to use up the bits and bobs from other projects.  Your son sure has great eyelashes, I imagine when he's older all the girls will be chasing him, so sharpen your needles ecozee---(just kidding). 

Crochet Beanie Hat Pattern - see photo above by ecozee

Important Info….

I used approx 35g of UK double-knit weight yarn in total although I used loads of tiny balls in different colours. I believe this is equivalent to US "light worsted" and AUS "8-ply" yarn. Apparently, the brighter and more colourful the better for the recipients.

4.5 mm crochet hook.

I used UK treble crochet stitch (trc) for the whole hat except the last two rows which are UK double crochet (dc). These stitches are called double crochet and single crochet in the US.

I made each round a different colour, this makes it easy to count rows and stitches and means you can have fun and use up teeny tiny balls of yarn. Complete each round with a slip stitch (ss) in to the top of the first (chain 3) stitch of the previous round and leave a tail at least 5 inches long for weaving in later. Start each new round in a random place around the hat by joining yarn with a ss and chaining 3 for your first stitch. This means the joins will not be visible and will make it easier when you are weaving in ends. I am not going to tell you to join every round with a ss and join new colour for each stripe – you can remember to do that yourselves!

Pattern

chain 4, join with a slip stitch (ss)

round 1: trc 12 sts into the centre of the chain 4 ring, join with a ss.

round 2: join new colour, starting with a chain 3 for the first stitch, make 2 trc sts into each of the previous 12 sts (24 sts total), join with ss.

round 3: make *2 trc sts in the first stitch and then 1 trc in the next st* repeat all the way round (36 sts total).

round 4: make *2 trc sts in the first stitch and then 1 trc in the next 2 sts* repeat all the way round (48 sts total).

round 5: make 1 trc in each of the previous 48 stitches (keeping the total 48)

round 6: make *2 trc sts in the first stitch and then 1 trc in the next 3 sts* repeat all the way round (60 sts total).

rounds 7- 17: make 1 trc in each of the 60 sts of the previous round. If you want to make the hat slightly smaller, work fewer rounds here.

round 18: double crochet (sc USA) in each st of the previous round.

round 19: turn the work so you are working with the inside of the hat facing you and make one more round of dc in reverse as it were (this helps stop the hat curling and makes a slightly chunkier looking edge from the right side).

Weaving in Ends

Weaving in ends is much better than simply laying the old yarn along the work and crocheting over it – these pull out and can be seen. Weaving in ends is a bit of a fiddle but sooo worth it.

Thank you for writing up this pattern here, really great for my stash busting exercise. And for making inroads into  my DK stock pile!  ♡

My yarn pile too, I'm more confident giving it a go in crochet! :)

Sharon B.'s JBRP crochet hat pattern (also available in the beaded version)

DK yarn on a 4mm - 5mm crochet hook

Round 1:  Ch 5 and join with a slip stitch in first ch to form ring. Ch2, (do not count as first dc from now on), 12 dc in ring. Join with a slip stitch in first dc. (12 stitches)

Round 2:  Ch 2, 2 dc in each stitch. Join with a slip stitch in first dc. (24 stitches)

Round 3:  Ch 2, (dc in next st, 2 dc in next st), repeat around. Join with slip stitch in first dc. (36 stitches)

Round 4:  Ch 2, (dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next st), repeat around. Join with slip stitch in first dc. (48 stitches)

Round 5:  Ch 2, (dc in next 3 st, 2 dc in next st), repeat around. Join with a slip stitch in first dc. (60 stitches)

Round 6-14:  Ch 2, dc in each st around. Join with a slip stitch in first dc.

Round 15:  Ch 1, reverse sc in each st (be sure to skip the stitch made by the slip stitch). Do not join, you will have a nearly invisible join if you fasten off and weave in end.

Beaded hat:

As above for 11 rounds.  Cut yarn and string 30 beads.

Round 12:  Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with a slip stitch in first sc. (60 stitches)

Round 13:  ch 2, hdc in same st as join, move up one bead to the hook, ch 1 skip next sc, *hdc in next sc,
                      move up 1 bead to hook, ch1, skip next sc* repeat
around to last bead of round. On last bead of round omit the chain 1, skip ch 2 and join in first hdc.  (30 beads)

Round 14:  ch 1, sc in same stitch as join, sc in ch 1 over each bead and in each hdc around, skip ch 1 and
                     join with a slip stitch in first sc.

Round 15:  ch 2, dc in each st around. Join with a slip stitch in first dc.

Round 16:  Ch 1 reverse sc as in round 15 above.

The hat should be 8 to 9 inches long and 9 to 10 inches wide. The US size for the crochet hook is J or 10.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Thanks so much for posting this pattern, Gitta.  I would love to try the beaded version sometime. No worries about losing beads since they are crocheted right in!

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JANUARY 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2020 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2020

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

KNIT DIAGONAL SQUARE

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2020   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service