If you wish to add a pattern for a hat you have made, please insert it at the end of this discussion and include a photo with the pattern.
We ask that you do not just include links to patterns online that you have not actually tried.

** PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MAKE HATS LARGE ENOUGH TO FIT CHILDREN 4 YEARS AND UP - REMEMBER THAT A CHILD OF 4 HAS ALMOST AN ADULT SIZED HEAD*****

Views: 3425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really Easy Chunky Knit Beanie - Wendy Hinson

Materials:

Approximately 2 x 30 gram scrap balls of 8 Ply Acrylic Yarn (60 grams total). This beanie is knitted 'double' or with 2 strands of yarn. 6.5mm/Size 10.5 Knitting needles (can be straight or circular as preferred). Yarn needle to sew up seam.

PLEASE NOTE: I cannot guarantee a satisfactory result if you use yarn other than specified or different size knitting needles, as larger needles usually result in a larger garment, and pure wool (or thicker/thinner) yarn may also affect the finished size.

Cuff & Body:

With 6.5 mm (size 10) needles, Cast on 60 stitches (using 2 x strands of yarn). Beginning with a Knit 1, Purl 1; work in ribbing for 10 Rows.

Starting with a Knit row, now work in stocking stitch (1 Knit row, 1 Purl row), until garment measures 15 cm total.  (Note:  if you are using circular needles every row will be a knit row).

Crown Shaping:  decrease by 6 stitches every alternate row as follows;

1st Row:  Knit 8, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row.

2nd Row:  Purl

3rd Row:  Knit 7, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row.

4th Row:  Purl

5th Row:  Knit 6, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row.

6th Row:  Purl

7th Row:  Knit 5, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row.

8th Row:  Purl

9th Row:  Knit 4, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row.

10th Row:  Purl

11th Row:  Knit 3, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row.

12th Row:  Purl

13th Row:  Knit 2, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row.

14th Row:  Purl

15th Row:  Knit 1, Knit 2 Together, repeat to end of row. (12 Stitches remain)

Cut yarn, leaving a long end (for sewing). Thread yarn into yarn needle & thread through remaining stitches. Draw up tightly & fasten off securely. Stitch up seam.

This is a super pattern!

Very easy and it works out just right!

I`ve knitted quite a few beanies with this pattern and have really enjoyed doing them.

Good thing is,it really knits up ever  so fast!

So thanks Wendy for this great pattern!!!

i have made quite a few hats with two different colours at the same time, i love the tweedy effect and often, two boring colours actually look good when combined - lovely photo too.

I've seen photos of many of these in the Photos section and they always look so attractive. I've seen photos of some of these on the children too.  Bravo to everyone who makes them, they look so smart and they hug the head and keep out wind too!

Easy 8 Ply Beanie - Wendy Hinson

Materials :

Approximately 60 grams of 8 Ply Acrylic Yarn. Yarn Needle for sewing up.

3.25 mm/Size 10 Knitting needles (can be straight or circular as preferred)

4.00 mm/Size 8 Knitting needles (can be straight or circular as preferred)

This Beanie will fit an adult head of approximately 22 to 23  inches or, 56 to 58 centimetres.

NOTE:  I cannot guarantee a satisfactory result if you use yarn or needles in sizes other than specified.

Cuff & Body:

With 3.25 mm (size 10) needles, Cast on 108 stitches. Knit in rib, (K1; P1 or K2; P2), for 16 rows for a single cuff, or 28 rows for a fold back (i.e. doubled) cuff. (Note:  I do not count the cast on row).

Change to 4 mm needles.  Starting with a Knit row, work 22 rows in stocking stitch.  (1 Knit row, 1 Purl row).  Note:  if you are using circular needles every row will be a knit row.

Crown Shaping:  beginning with a knit row, decrease every alternate row as follows;

Row 1: K10, K2T to end of row;

Row 2: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 3: K9, K2T to end of row;

Row 4: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 5: K8, K2T to end of row;

Row 6: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 7: K7, K2T to end of row;

Row 8: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 9: K6, K2T to end of row;

Row 10: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 11: K5, K2T to end of row;

Row 12: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 13: K4, K2T to end of row;

Row 14: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 15: K3, K2T to end of row;

Row 16: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 17: K2, K2T to end of row;

Row 18: Knit (Purl if using straight needles)

Row 19: K1, K2T to end of row; (18 Stitches remain)

Cut yarn, leaving a long end (for sewing). Thread yarn into yarn needle & thread through remaining stitches. Draw up tightly & fasten off securely. Stitch up seam.

Note: K2T = Knit 2 stitches together

These are lovely,Wendy! I love your decreases!

Thanks, Wendy, for both the Chunky Beanie and the 8 ply beanie patterns.  These hats look like they would really fit well

just love your hats, Wendy. Going to use your pattern for major stash busting exercise. Most of the yarn I buy is DK so I have had trouble adapting USA patterns to a correct fit.

Thanks so much for these threads, Anne! It's wonderful inspiration!

Anneke posted this lovely hat January 7/13

I found the pattern on a website by a Dutch crochet lady "Karin aan de haak" and she derived it from: Toastyfrog.net.

I used thick yarn, hook nr 5 and my hats are adult size.

Round 1

: Ch 4, join. Ch 3, make 13 DC in loop, join. (14 St)

Round 2

: Ch 3. *In 2nd st from hook, DC-Ch 2-DC (V-stitch made)* six times; DC in base of starting Ch 3, Ch 2, join. (7 V-stitches)

Round 3

: Sl St in first V-stitch space, chain 3, DC-Ch2-2DC in same space. *2DC-Ch2-2DC in next V-stitch space* six times; join.

Round 4

: Ch 3, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next st, *skip 2 st, DC in next st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next st* six times; join.

Round 5

: Ch 3, DC in next st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next 2 st, *skip 2 st, DC in next 2 st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next 2 st* six times; join.

Round 6

: Ch 3, DC in next 2 st, 1 DC-Ch2- 1DC in V-space, DC in next 3 st, *skip 2 st, DC in next 3 st, DC-Ch2-DC in V-space, DC in next 3 st* six times; join.

Rounds 7-16

: Repeat round 6 ten more times

Round 17

: Ch 1, SC in next 3 st, SC-SC-SC in V-space, SC in next 4 st, *skip 2 st, SC in next 4 st, SC-SC-SC in V-space, SC in next 4 st* six times; join.

In the original pattern the last round (17) gives a very sharp lining in the V-space, that's why I did SC-SC-SC to get a more wave-like finish, it fits more with the pattern as a whole

Easy Crochet Beanie Hat - Large Child or Adult Size

I made this hat and then wrote the pattern up afterwards so I hope the pattern makes sense.  It makes a big hat, my son in the picture is 8 but it will fit up to adult.  click on the link below.  It uses about 35g DK yarn total but I used lots of teeny balls.

http://ecozee.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/easy-charity-crochet-beanie-...

This is just beautiful! I love the colors and your son is a doll! Thanks so much for the pattern!

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2019

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The JANUARY 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2020 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2020

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

KNIT DIAGONAL SQUARE

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2020   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service